Thursday, March 20, 2014

Perfectionism is Great...

Perfectionism is great...
                                     because I love being me.
                                                                              And I am a perfectionist.

Perfectionism is not always great...
                                     because sometimes it strains my relationship with myself and others.


Today I had plans to meet a friend for lunch. He ran late, I had to get ready for work, normal real-world outcome. However I felt so shamed about the broken plans that I closed myself off and didn't answer his call. He was probably calling to say he was sorry it took so long, I didn't even give him the opportunity to express that.

Today, a co-worker and I were setting up a display. We had different ideas about the proper way to do it. Both ways were totally acceptable. He tried to explain his vision but I went about it my way, and he left in a huff.

I hope that this year is one in which I can overcome the downsides of my perfectionism, while embracing the upsides. I hope to experience a paradigm shift.  

Hoping wont make it so. There is work to be done, I must work to accept my perfectionism for what it is.

A favorite theory of mine of late:

  • Step 1: Recognize it
  • Step 2: Accept it
  • Step 3: Splendid outcomes flow forth
Step 1 requires some careful observation of ones self, but is actually fairly easy. 
Step 2 is difficult and cuts straight to the center
Step 3 requires almost no effort, it is simply the life outcome of acceptance

Step 3 is what you want, its the blank in "I hope ______", but actually it is the emergent result of the process.

Embrace the process, not the goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment