Sunday, March 9, 2014

Portland Cheap Eats Map 2014

Willamette Week published a thorough guide to cheap restaurants and food carts a few weeks ago. Reading the whole guide was mouthwatering and tiresome and of course resulted in a 'short list' of places to check out that was anything but short. In fact it was so long that I wouldn't have been able to use it at all to go to any of these places.

Curate and Compile [the massive flood of data we are presented every instant]... this is the challenge of the web today.

I wish Willamette Week had made a map/App for their cheap eats guide, as I have seen in other cities, but part of me is glad that they didn't, 'cause I got to do this fun project and make my map. I threw in two of my personal faves, and will probably update it over time.


View Portland Cheap Eats 2014 in a larger map
Fast Food icon is for food carts and places that are mostly take out.

This project already paid off tonight when I was driving in northeast and remembered that I was near a place on the map. Dinner at Angel Food & Fun was terrific. I had actually gotten a burrito there once when I lived in NE and thought it was OK. The pick from the cheap eats guide - Relleno Negro - was astoundingly good. Turkey and pork/egg patty floating in a pool of rich negro sauce, spiced (but not spicy), loaded with umami from the turkey fat, sopped onto the super fresh tortillas, the sauce was the star of the dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment