Saturday, April 2, 2016

Buy Nothing Month: Day 0 & Day 1

     I have challenged myself to Buy NoThing in April. 

   I took a few days this week to stock up my pantry. Rice, Quinoa, Beans, Sweet potatoes, Tofu etc... I probably spent about $150... which is at least $100 less than I would spend on food in a typical month. Because the dry goods pantry is communal with my roommate, he is rightly worried that by the end of the month the pantry will be emptied out. 
    I also filled up my gas tank. 
   Oh, and the one in my car too!

  On day 0, before the challenge month even began I was already begining to experience some 'think different'. I have a typical 1'x3' mirror in my room. I was thinking to buy those screws with plastic nubs on them to hold it onto my closet door. I saw that I already had 3M Extreme Mounting Tape. If you haven't used this double-sided foam tape yet, you might want to check it out for your next project. It is ridiculously strong. In short I saw that my life was rich with stuff... and I needen't go buy something else to solve my problem. 

  Another insight from day 0. I've been puzzling over ways to get to my therapist combining Bus and Bike. However the office is where Lake Oswego, Tigard and SW Portland meet. Right along the 5. Easy to drive to... no bus lines run there. I discovered that there is a rush-hours-only bus which goes right there... so by shifting my appointment times from mid-day to 4-5pm I can get there without driving. 

Day 1 was mostly uneventful. Cooked lunch with the roommates, they contributed Tofu and veggies, I contributed Soba noodles. Scored 2 awesome vegan burritos from the free food porch and dealt with a lot of pain and sadness in my heart.      


I'm just a Thinker, who already blew his shot
I get along with old timers
'cause I don't wear blinders in a world thats goin to pot

I can't find a girl, no
'Cause I don't lay game too much
I treat 'em like friends but it always really ends
feeling lonely without touch

No comments:

Post a Comment