Friday, April 8, 2016

Buy Nothing Month: Getting Social

Soundtrack: https://soundcloud.com/realfaustus/sets/choral-music


One week done and life has been really wonderful. Challenges so far:

  • Using the TriMet ticket app doesnt work if your phone is out of power. My phone died literally seconds after I shoved my valid day-pass ticket.
  • My life is similar to my college life in the following way: I walk around with a thin wallet with an ID but no money or debit card. I did this in college to avoid the temptation of buying food that was off-mealplan. The challenge presented itself this past Tuesday when I had to take my debit card with me to Science On Tap at the Clinton Street Theater. I was feeling sad and was feeling the temptation to buy an unhealthy snackfood. The temptation was present because I had the plastic in my pocket. I had the power. 
Discoveries

  • Volunteering is often accompanied by free food. I have eaten more pizza this week than all of 2016 prior. I guess there are two ways my life is like college. 
  • Having meals with friends is another way to be social and share and eat and not spend money. A picnic-in-the-park was a $0 way to do lunch with my friend and far mor pleasent than a trip to the carts. I have a few more social meals on my schedule as way.
  • Solve the problem with the things you have in the room. This is a strategy I have been experimenting with for months. An unlearning to counter engineer-brained perfectionism. I have been using this strategy much more it seems this month. 
  • Baking - How little I have done these past few years. This morning I made polenta with breakfast and had a lot left over. Polenta doesn't keep well... so I threw together a poor version of cornbread.    

No comments:

Post a Comment